StopAd is a potentially unwanted program that will inject ads on the affected browser. Although it is endorsed as ad-blocking program, you may also find it as the sole offender. StopAd literally issue its own ad in the form of pop-ups, in-line text, and banners. This adware will provide coupons, deals, and other online offers.
On the presence of StopAd, certain changes are visible on the browser. Add-on or extension is added without user’s permission. Internet cookies are also integrated into the browser which monitors your interaction with ads. The adware may also monitor your browsing habit; web site visited, and gathers data from the PC.
Adware such as StopAd commonly installed on the computer by means of third-party programs. This adware, together with a couple of potentially unwanted program are packed into freeware which are being offered on some web sites. Users are not aware that installing programs which they intentionally download will likewise install StopAd and other malicious software.
Some users may voluntarily download and use StopAd, when they are convinced that this is a useful program. In fact, the inducing introduction on the official web site attracts some visitors to download the tool.
“There is something that you can do to stop ads from bothering you when you surf the web. Just download StopAd. When it is already installed, you will have the assurance that ads in any form will not bother you at all.”
Online Security Scanner Report for stopad.info:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Oct. 10, 2014|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Oct. 10, 2014|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: Oct. 10, 2014|
How to Remove StopAd
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall StopAd
The main cause of adware and malware presence could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove StopAd entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to StopAd. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove StopAd Add-on/Extension and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted StopAd from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of StopAd on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove StopAd
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with StopAd. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from StopAd. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. Click on the Menu (three-bar icon) located on the upper right side corner of the browser.
3. From the pull-down menu, click on Settings.
4. Once your are on chrome://settings/ tab, click on ‘Show advanced settings…‘ at the bottom of the window.
5. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on Reset browser settings button.
6. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed StopAd extension.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to StopAd.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. StopAd should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by StopAd and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.