startup.com is a browser hijacker that can take over the home page of known browsers like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari. Security forums are now being flooded with questions on ‘How to remove startup.com virus.’ This is due to the method employed by people behind this domain which infiltrate a computer and made alterations on their own.
When your browser’s home page reveals startup.com upon opening, it only confirms that malicious program is installed on the computer. This hijacker is not technically a virus, although it has traits to be considered one. startup.com modifies settings on the browser so that New Tab or home page will resolve to the said web address. In addition, startup.com drops various executable files which the operating system calls during start-up. This will result to automatically start the browser to startup.com.
Removing the browser hijacker from the computer is a bit complex. Files and registry entries are affected during the installation of startup.com. Thus, we highly suggest running an antivirus scan and follow it with an anti-malware scan. Uninstalling unknown programs which was loaded recently without your consent can also help solve the issue.
After removing startup.com, we highly suggest installing security program that is effective in blocking malicious freeware and shareware app that is the main source of browser hijacker like startup.com.
Online Security Scanner Report for startup.com:
|No Issues||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Jan. 28, 2014|
|Link is safe||Feedback: N/A||Updated: Jan. 28, 2014|
|Currently Safe||Ratings: 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes||Updated: Jan. 28, 2014|
startup.com Removal Guide
Stage 1: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to startup.com. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 2: Remove startup.com Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted startup.com from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of startup.com on the affected browser.
Stage 3: Remove startup.com from Internet Browser’s Shortcut Link
One method that starts your home page to unwanted address like startup.com is by integrating the link to browser’s shortcut link. On this section, we will discuss the proper removal of unwanted entries on shortcut link.
Cleaning Internet Explorer’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Internet Explorer and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Internet Explorer.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to startup.com. Please refer to image below.
Cleaning Google Chrome’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Google Chrome and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Google Chrome.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to startup.com. Please see image below for your reference.
Cleaning Mozilla Forefox’s Shortcut Link:
1. Locate the shortcut icon for Mozilla Firefox and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens the Shortcut settings for Mozilla Firefox.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to startup.com. See screenshot image below.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with startup.com. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to startup.com.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. startup.com should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by startup.com and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.