start.qone8.com is an adware that substitute the home page of infected browser with unknown search engine. The redirect or hijacking issue brought by this adware has annoyed every computer users who come into contact with it. Its aggressive behavior is the main reason why many web users deemed is as start.qone8.com virus. Actually, AVG Threat Labs detected a threat called BAT/FormatX on this web address.
Ordinary way that one may get start.qone8.com is through freeware. It is common for browser hijacker to get deployed using other application. It is wrapped to software that can attract users. Downloading and installing this free software is just like giving start.qone8.com an overall control over your browser. Upon execution, this adware drops what we call an add-on or extension. This is a small program that adds third-party functions to the browser. Home page is the key target of this threat. Instead of the default setup, start.qone8.com sees to it that this URL will be your start-up page. It also appears when opening New Tab window.
Other methods used by attacker to spread this unwanted program are social media sites and spam email messages. Thus, you must take extra care when clicking on links or opening any attachments. Your simple action can bring disaster to your computer.
Different anti-virus and anti-malware programs may name this threat according to their patterns. Here are some detection names: PUP.Optional.Qone8
Online Security Scanner Report for start.qone8.com:
|No Issues||Community Rating: 1.4/5.0||Updated: March 15, 2015|
|Dangerous||Feedback: Malicious site||Updated: March 15, 2015|
|Probably Safe||Ratings: 0 Likes, 56 Dislikes||Updated: March 15, 2015|
start.qone8.com Removal Procedure
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like start.qone8.com. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to start.qone8.com. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner.exe to start running the tool.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to start.qone8.com. You may have to delete each detected item.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, open AdwCleaner once more. Click on Uninstall to remove this program from your computer.
Stage 3: Remove start.qone8.com Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted start.qone8.com from the computer. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. You do not need to install the program. This portable scanner will run automatically once you double-click on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of start.qone8.com on the affected browser.