Start 4U with URL monsear.xyz may appear as valid search engine. So far, we can accept it as safe one because it is currently utilizing Google resources. We have no doubt that search results coming from Start 4U are out of harm’s way. Links and ads from the result page are legitimate because highly regarded Search server provides it.
However, the way Start 4U was able to set its foot on the computer is somehow suspicious. This search engine forces its way to homepage of target browser. Moreover, user is innocent how it became the default search engine. Start 4U often installed without approval and carry out changes on the browser on its own. Due to this invasive practice, some people mistakenly identify Start 4U as computer virus.
As far as technicality is concerned, we cannot consider Start 4U as virus. It is more appropriate to be in the list of Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). This description is referring to any programs that deliberately installed on the computer in concealed manner. Some search engine on the same category are Ourstartpage.com, UStart Search, and Newtaba.com.
It was found that Start 4U arrives on the computer via third-party software or shareware. Downloading and running programs with bundled adware can be hazardous to the computer. Consequently, these freeware installs unwanted program and other extensions that can cause severe issues. Homepage hijacking, browser redirects, and extensive advertisements are just some displeasure it can bring on compromised machine.
To reverse all changes that were carried out by Start 4U, you must remove this browser hijacker first. Otherwise, it will just restore own configuration on your browser. Below is a simple removal guide to get rid of Start 4U.
Online Security Scanner Report for monsear.xyz:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||July 05, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No data||July 05, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||July 05, 2016|
Start 4u Browser Hijacker Removal Procedure
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like Start 4u home page hijacker. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to Start 4u. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Start 4u. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Remove Start 4u Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Start 4u from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Start 4u on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from Start 4u
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Start 4u. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Start 4u. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Reset Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Start 4u home page hijacker should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain it the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Start 4u and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see view instructions here.