SpikeDeals pop-up and toolbar is an adware the gets inside victim’s computer without permission. It is usually packed with free programs. Just like JoniCoupon which we have published earlier, this adware will display coupons and online savings for various sellers. The goal of SpikeDeals is to promote certain products and online stores including client’s web sites. It will show a comparison of prices for online stores like Ebay, Amazon, Bestbuy, and other known web sites. The purpose is good but we found that the process is selective and it didn’t show all prices for other web sites that have better or even competitive prices.
This program will be installed as an add-on, extension, or plug-in that targets mostly used browsers including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome. As an add-on, SpikeDeals toolbar is added to the browser that processes the display of ads when you begin to browser online stores.
Like its predecessor, this adware comesbundled with free programs and users are not aware of the installation. This technique by SpikeDeals is so aggressive and for that, many computer users perceive its presence as virus infection. Upon installation, SpikeDeals alters settings on the browser that is somehow hard to reverse.
Next time, you should be careful in downloading and installing free programs to avoid adware such as SpikeDeals.
Online Security Scanner Report for spikedeals.info:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Jan. 14, 2014|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: N/A||Updated: Jan. 14, 2014|
|Currently Safe||Ratings: 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes||Updated: Jan. 14, 2014|
SpikeDeals Removal Guide
Stage 1: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to SpikeDeals. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 2: Remove SpikeDeals Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted SpikeDeals from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of SpikeDeals on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with SpikeDeals. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to SpikeDeals.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. SpikeDeals should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by SpikeDeals and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.