Search Select is a browser extension designed especially for Google Chrome browser. It claims to enhance online search experience by providing simplest way to switch between search engines. During installation, Search Select will change new tab and default search settings. The adware also adds some links on the home page and toolbar, which it state as useful in managing search results.
With thorough observations, it was noticed that Search Select is the source of excessive advertisements and browser redirect. In fact, the aim of this adware is to generate online profit via ads and traffic referrals.
Search Select exhibits contextual ads in different formats. It may show pop-up ads, banners, in-line, redirects, or full-page materials. The safety of these ads is still in question. There are reports that malware authors are taking advantages of this unfamiliar ad scheme to spread malware or adware. Therefore, be cautious when clicking links from ads by Search Select.
Removal of adware and PUP like Search Select may be too complex when done without proper tools and reliable scanners. Plug-ins, files, and registry entries are just some part of this adware that cannot be removed when doing ordinary virus scan. Therefore, it is not the real solution to fully remove Search Select. It may temporarily get rid of adware, but it will just re-surface once you restart the computer.
To totally eliminate Search Select and other adware that comes with it, we outlined a simple guide below. Also included are efficient tools and scanners that will find and delete hidden objects planted by this adware on various folders of your system.
Online Security Scanner Report for search-select.co:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Aug. 08, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Aug. 08, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Ratings: 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes||Updated: Aug. 08, 2016|
How to Remove Search Select
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Search Select
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Search Select entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Search Select. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Search Select from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Search Select on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove Search Select
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Search Select. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Remove Search Select from Google Chrome
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Search Select. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Show advanced settings…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset Settings section.
5. Click on Reset Settings button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Search Select. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also download Software Removal Tool from this page. A stand-alone reset tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Search Select.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Reset Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Search Select should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Search Select and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.