search.ominent.com is part of potentially unwanted program that hijacks the home page of Internet browser. It is an annoyance for browsers like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox. The damage it can bring does not end on browser hijacking. search.ominent.com is also a threat that can alter various settings on the browser without user’s consent. In fact, Ominent Toolbar can be added to the browser. Although you may view it as a normal search engine, but its purposes are countless just to make use of your PC to generate online profit.
search.ominent.com plays as an advertising module for various online products and services. It may not be visible, but links of advertisers are included into search results. Ominent Search aims to deliver web traffic and promote commercial web sites through this unwanted search engine.
Keep in mind that your privacy is at risk with search.ominent.com hijacker. It takes control of your home page so that you will be force to use Ominent Search Engine. In return, it monitors keywords and phrases as you search the web. Collected data will then be use by this adware to serve ads that fits your interests hoping to sell products or convince you to visit a network of ads.
Being in the category of Adware or PUP, there’s no reason for search.ominent.com to stay on your PC. We encourage removal of this unwanted search as soon as possible to avoid further damage on the computer.
Online Security Scanner Report for search.ominent.com:
|No Issues||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Nov 20, 2013|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: N/A||Updated: Nov 20, 2013|
|Currently safe||Ratings: 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes||Updated: Nov 20, 2013|
search.ominent.com Removal Procedure
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like search.ominent.com. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the installation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to search.ominent.com. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner.exe to start running the tool.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to search.ominent.com. You may have to delete each detected item.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, open AdwCleaner once more. Click on Uninstall to remove this program from your computer.
Stage 3: Remove search.ominent.com Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted search.ominent.com from the computer. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. You do not need to install the program. This portable scanner will run automatically once you double-click on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of search.ominent.com on the affected browser.