Play Search Now is an adware that targets Macintosh-based system. It claims to enhance online search by giving user the most relevant results, better than most search engines. Play Search Now may appear like a worthy tool, however, people may begin to disappoint when it begins to flood the browser with a number of advertisements causing surfing to be sluggish.
Similar to most potentially unwanted application, Play Search Now gets inside the computer via third-party software. Bogus software updates and a malicious media player is another accessory to the widespread distribution of this adware. Dubious games and utilities hosted on unknown servers are another type of freeware that is linked to Play Search Now.
When installed on Mac system, this adware applies a content-layering scheme to display various advertisements including banners, pop-up ads, and other marketing materials. These virtual Ads by Play Search Now are layered on context of a page appearing to be integral part of the website. Thus, many victims are engaging on these links, which are actually advertisements. As you can see, Play Search Now aims to deceive computer users in the sole purpose of generating online profit.
In addition, Play Search Now has a code that monitors user’s online activities. It logs your IP address, keywords used, visited websites, and other online data that they can used in providing a much-targeted advertisements.
If you need to remove Play Search Now from Mac system and browsers such as Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, please proceed to the guide below. Scan the system with recommended tools to ensure complete removal of adware and other malicious objects.
Online Security Scanner Report for playsearchnow.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Nov. 21, 2016|
|Link is safe||Feedback: No Data||Updated: Nov. 21, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: Nov. 21, 2016|
Procedures to Remove Play Search Now Adware from Mac
Below is a simple procedure to help you get rid of Play Search Now from Macintosh system. Removal of the adware on various browser is also included.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Play Search Now
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware i.e. Play Search Now, SearchAssist. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Play Search Now, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Play Search Now
1. Select and copy the string below to your Clipboard by pressing Command + C on your keyboard.
2. Go to your Finder. From the menu bar please select Go > Go to Folder…
3. Press Command + V on your keyboard to paste the copied string. Press Return to go to the said folder.
4. You will now see a folder named LaunchAgents. Take note of the following files inside the folder:
- com.Play Search Now.agent
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Play Search Now to be present on your Mac. Arranging all items to see the most recent ones may also help you identify recently installed unfamiliar files. Please press Option + Command + 4 on your keyboard to arrange the application list in chronological order.
5. Drag all suspicious files that you may find to Trash.
6. Repeat Step 2, numbers 1-5 procedures on the following folder (without ~):
7. Please restart the computer.
8. Open another folder using the same method as above. Copy and Paste the following string to easily locate the folder.
9. Look for any suspicious items that are similar to the ones in Step2, number 4. Drag them to the Trash.
10. Go to your Finder and open the Applications Folder. Look for subfolders with the following names and drag them to Trash.
- Play Search Now
Optional: For locked files that cannot be removed, do the following:
1. Go to Launchpad, Utilities folder, open Activity Monitor.
2. Select the process you want to quit.
3. Click on Force Quit button.
4. You may now delete or remove locked files that belongs to Play Search Now.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Play Search Now.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Play Search Now is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
Step 4: Remove Play Search Now from Safari Home Page and Search
1. Open Apple menu and select Force Quit. You can also press Command + Option + Esc on the keyboard to access this feature.
2. From the list of applications, select Safari, and then click on Force Quit button. Wait for Safari browser to close.
3. Now, hold down Shift key and launch Safari. Do this to avoid opening any unwanted window from Play Search Now.
4. Go to Safari Menu located on upper left hand corner, and then select Preferences.
5. Under General tab, type the desired URL on Home Page area.
6. To set the default search engine, please go back to Safari Preferences.
7. Click on Search and select the desired search engine from the list to override Play Search Now custom search engine.