Mac-Flix is deemed as potentially unwanted program that injects advertisements on visited web sites and search result page. Mac-Flix asserts that it can unblock restricted websites and streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, iPlayer, Pandora, and many more. This costless offer is appealing but whether it will cause some issues on the computer is still in question.
As of this writing, all we know is by using Mac-Flix, your browser will be bombarded with advertisements originating from its own server. Mac-Flix was able to do this due to the configured DNS Settings in which you are retrieving web contents from its servers. Thus, ads and other entities can be freely embedded into the contents before it can reach you. Seeing “Ads by Mac-Flix” or “Brought by Mac-Flix” is an ordinary thing when using this service. Ads are not part of the original web site content. Applying a technology called Content Layering; these ads will appear as part of the requested web page.
When Mac-Flix is installed, it can run automatically on the system using scheduled task or Automator tool. This task runs the adware on computer start-up, after login, and even if computer is in idle mode. Therefore, Mac-Flix can activate itself at any given time of the day as long as computer is on power. The adware also changes DNS Server settings on the affected computer so that it can control your internet flows. Furthermore, having its own settings on your computer allows them to collect various online data.
It is obvious that Mac-Flix was made to deceive you with tempting services, but the real intention is to generate online profit through advertisements and other marketing campaign.
Mac-Flix DNS Settings:
126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 are the DNS servers of Mac-Flix. Before proceeding with the removal guide, be sure that you have removed these IP addresses from the computer and router’s DNS Server Settings. Otherwise, you will continue to see ads by Mac-Flix because it controls how your browser retrieves web pages from the internet.
Online Security Scanner Report for mac-flix.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: June 30, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No Data||Updated: June 30, 2016|
|Currently safe||Ratings: No Data||Updated: June 30, 2016|
Procedures to Remove Mac-Flix from Mac
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1: Remove Browser Extensions that belongs to Mac-Flix
1. Locate the add-on or extension that is relevant to the adware. To do this, please follow the following depending on affected browser.
Safari – Choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon. This will open a window showing all installed extensions.
Chrome – Select Preferences from the Chrome menu, and then click the Extensions link found on the left pane.
Firefox – Choose Add-ons from the Tools menu. Look at both the Extensions and Plugins lists when it opens a new window.
2. Once you have located Mac-Flix, click on Remove or Uninstall, to get rid of it.
3. Close the browser and proceed to the next steps.
Step 2: Delete Malicious Files that have installed Mac-Flix
1. Navigate to the location given below and move the item to the Trash.
If you cannot find the specified file, please look for any unfamiliar or suspicious entries. It may be the one causing the Mac-Flix to be present on your Mac.
Step 3: Scan the System with Adware Removal Tool for Mac
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac from this link:
Click here to download MBAM for Mac (this will open a new window)
2. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac. It will check for updates and download if most recent version is available. This is necessary in finding recent malware threats including Mac-Flix.
3. If it prompts to close all running web browser, please do so. Thus, we advise you to PRINT this guide for your reference before going offline.
4. Once it opens the user interface, please click on Scan button to start scanning your Mac computer.
5. After the scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware for Mac will display a list of identified threats, Mac-Flix is surely part of it. Be sure to select all items in the list. Then, click Remove button to clean the computer.
How to Remove Mac-Flix from PC
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Mac-Flix
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Mac-Flix or Epikai entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Mac-Flix. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Mac-Flix Add-on/Extension and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Mac-Flix from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Mac-Flix on the affected browser.
Step 4: Reset Internet Browser to completely remove Mac-Flix
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Mac-Flix. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Mac-Flix. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome Internet browser.
2. Click on the Menu (three-bar icon) located on the upper right side corner of the browser.
3. From the pull-down menu, click on Settings.
4. Once your are on chrome://settings/ tab, click on ‘Show advanced settings…‘ at the bottom of the window.
5. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click on Reset browser settings button.
6. Close the existing tab and restart Google Chrome. That should have removed Mac-Flix extension.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Mac-Flix.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Reset Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Mac-Flix should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Mac-Flix and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.