GoCloudy or GOAC pop-up ads and redirect may appear on the browser if an adware is residing on the computer. This is considered as adware attack because the add-on that is injected into the browser was purposely made to deliver ads on the PC. Ads shown by GoCloudy may vary from simple endorsements to a fake program update that entices users to download and install a program. Once this is accomplished, other adware will get install on the computer and it starts to mess up with browsers like Edge, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari.
Getting redirected to GoCloudy, including occasional pop-ups are caused by other malicious browser plug-in, extension, or add-on. Although there is no direct data that links this malicious site to adware, reports from computer users states that GoCloudy redirection and pop-ups started to appear after installing harmful browser add-on. Removing installed plug-ins also will not stop the pop-ups and redirects committed GoCloudy. You also need to delete risky files it has dropped inside the system and various folders.
We highly suggest removal of GoCloudy and relevant adware right away. Your data might be in danger with its presence. They tend to collect data from the computer like search terms, browsing habit, and other information that may be useful to effective show relevant ads in the future.
GoCloudy Removal Guide
Browser redirects and hijacking issues takes place if browser settings may have been altered by malware. Files may have also added that executes whenever its senses that Internet connection is active.
To get rid of this threat, a number of scanner and tools are suggested. Please run all these tools to ensure that no more malicious files will be left on the computer.
Stage 1: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to GoCloudy. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 2: Remove GoCloudy Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted GoCloudy from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of GoCloudy on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with GoCloudy. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Remove GoCloudy from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Show advanced settings…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset Settings section.
5. Click on Reset Settings button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by GoCloudy. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also download Chrome Cleanup Tool from this page. A stand-alone reset tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to GoCloudy.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. GoCloudy should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by GoCloudy and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.
Stage 3: Cleanup Internet Browser’s Shortcut Link
One method that starts your home page to unwanted webpage is by integrating the link to browser’s shortcut link. On this section, we will discuss the proper removal of unwanted entries on shortcut link.
1. Locate the shortcut icon for affected Internet browser and right-click on it.
2. Select Properties from the drop-down list. This method opens Internet Browser Properties window.
3. Under Target field, you will need to remove extra path pointing to unwanted web site belonging to GoCloudy. Please refer to image below.
4. Do the same thing for the rest of Internet browsers that were compromised with malware.