FilesFrog Update Checker is a potentially unwanted program that aims to keep you desktop software updated. It was developed primarily to notify you if update is available for programs you have acquired from filesfrog.com. Primarily, FilesFrog Update Checker intends to be distributed only to its own users; however, in order to promote it intensively, it is now bundled to many freeware that you may obtain from certain web sites.
When this potentially unwanted program is installed on the computer, it will add FilesFrog Update Checker Toolbar. It also places shortcut links on the target browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. In addition, it pushes for the installation of many programs from filesfrog.com.
Unwanted program including FilesFrog Update Checker should be removed from the computer right away. If it stays for long, chances are, it may gather some sensitive data from your PC. It can record your online activities and make it as reference for its future advertising scheme. Presence of FilesFrog Update Checker not only hampers your privacy, it can also lead to other adware or malware infection. Components of this threat may redirect the browser to malicious web sites hosting another threat.
Online Security Scanner Report for filesfrog.com:
|No Issues||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Nov 17, 2013|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: N/A||Updated: Nov 17, 2013|
|Currently safe||Ratings: 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes||Updated: Nov 17, 2013|
‘FilesFrog Update Checker’ Removal Procedure
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with Sophos Virus Removal Tool
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit, malware as well as threat like FilesFrog Update Checker adware. The tool is powerful enough to find malicious items that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from the link below. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
Sophos Virus Removal Tool Download Link
2. After downloading, navigate to the file location and double-click it. This will start the instllation procedure. User Account Control will prompt if you want to run the program, click Yes to continue.
3. On initial launch of the program, it will display a welcome screen as shown in the image below. Click Next to start the installation procedure.
4. Next, you need to accept the license agreement before Sophos Virus Removal Tool can be installed onto the computer. Choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’. Then, click Next button.
5. On the next prompts, please click appropriate button to proceed. At the end of the installation process, it will display InstallShield Wizard Completed. Just leave the Launch Sophos Virus Removal Tool with a check mark. Then, click Finish.
6. The tool will download necessary updates so Internet connection is required at this point. Lastly, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
7. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus. The tool reveals items that were found linked to FilesFrog Update Checker. It also detects and removes other malicious files.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner.exe to start running the tool.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to FilesFrog Update Checker adware. You may have to delete each detected item.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, open AdwCleaner once more. Click on Uninstall to remove this program from your computer.
Stage 3: Remove FilesFrog Update Checker Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted FilesFrog Update Checker Search and Toolbar from the computer. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. You do not need to install the program. This portable scanner will run automatically once you double-click on the the executable file avast-browser-cleanup.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of FilesFrog Update Checker on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser from FilesFrog Update Checker Adware
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with FilesFrog Update Checker Search and Toolbar. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to FilesFrog Update Checker adware. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual add-on removal from this link.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Reset Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. FilesFrog Update Checker home page hijacker should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain it the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by FilesFrog Update Checker and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see view instructions here.