DriverUpdate is tagged as potentially unwanted program due to its invasive technique used in order to gain access on the target computer. Adware or unwanted program like this one normally comes bundled to other software. It usually invites victims through pop-up pages from driverupdate.net stating the following message:
“Download the Driver Update Utility to scan and identify out-of-date or missing Windows Drivers. Update your PC with the correct Windows Drivers.”
When you see the above pop-up alerts, it only states that computer is compromised with an adware promoting the said program. You may have obtained the adware from various software downloads especially freeware or shareware apps. Links from social media sites and spam email messages pretending to be from your trusted contacts likewise leads to DriverUpdate adware infection.
To some, DriverUpdate is just a scam. It pop-ups a warning reporting that outdated drivers can lead to serious damages on the PC. But once you download the program and have it installed, the same scan is produced. However, this time, DriverUpdate demands that you need to register the software in order for the update to commence. Overall, technique used by DriverUpdate makers is very similar to fake antivirus programs that have been around for quite some time.
Removing unwanted add-on or extension from the browser may stop pop-ups coming from driverupdate.net. If the DriverUpdate scanner program is already loaded into the computer, you can simply uninstall it through Add/Remove program of Windows under Control Panel.
How to Remove DriverUpdate
Stage 1: Uninstalling DriverUpdate
To easily uninstall DriverUpdate, please go to Control Panel. Look for function in order to uninstall any programs. Select DriverUpdate from the list of installed programs and click on ‘Uninstall’.
Stage 2: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds DriverUpdate and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 3: Double-check for DriverUpdate’ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for DriverUpdate. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all DriverUpdate entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that DriverUpdate have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.