Directions Whiz search is a browser hijacker that claims to enhance your online search experience especially when finding directions. This adware can replace homepage and new tab with unfamiliar search bar. If you are seeing Directions Whiz as part of the browser, it only confirms that it is compromised. Adware such as this is aiming to alter your default your search engine so that it can display ads on homepage as well as search result pages. Using this method, adware authors can generate online profit. However, users have nothing to gain aside from being annoyed by too much display of advertisements. For that reason, many people deemed Directions Whiz search on homepage as part of virus activity.
Technically, Directions Whiz is not a virus. Even though it possesses characteristics similar to virus, it is only classed as PUP or Adware. Once it is inside the system, it can perform certain changes but it does not destroy files neither contaminate other files on the PC. Adware or browser redirect such as Directions Whiz aims only on issuing ads and redirect web pages for moneymaking purposes.
Usual sources of Directions Whiz are freeware, malicious links, and bogus software update from unofficial sites. Either sources, the effect of this browser hijacker is likely inconvenient to victim. It hijacks the home page and overrides settings on known browsers like Edge, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Firefox. It also alters the default search engine that victims are force to utilize Directions Whiz. Browser redirect and pop-up ads may also seen on affected browser from time-to-time.
Although Directions Whiz is not as dreaded as viruses or malware, removing this thing from the computer is highly suggested. It can still bring some security risks that may lead to further damage in the future.
Online Security Scanner Report for directionswhiz.com:
|Not yet tested||Community Rating: 0.0||Dec. 01, 2016|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: No data||Dec. 01, 2016|
|Currently Safe||Feedback: No data||Dec. 01, 2016|
How to Remove Directions Whiz
This section contains comprehensive guide to help you remove threats from the affected computer.
It is highly suggested that you carry out all the steps in exact manner to effectively get rid of malware.
Step 1 : Use Add/Remove program of Windows to Uninstall Directions Whiz
The main cause of pop-up ads and coupons could be software that you may have installed on the computer. We need to uninstall the culprit program.
1. Click Windows Start button. Next, select Control Panel from the list. Alternatively, press Windows key + R on keyboard and run appwiz.cpl command.
2. Find the ‘Programs‘ area and click on Uninstall a program. This opens up a window showing existing software installed.
3. Look for and remove Directions Whiz, MyWay, or MindSpark entry. If not present, look for any suspicious labels that was installed recently.
4. Click on Uninstall to start removing the program.
Step 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to Directions Whiz. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Step 3: Remove Adware Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted Directions Whiz from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of Directions Whiz on the affected browser.
Step 4: Remove Directions Whiz Extension and Add-on
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with Directions Whiz. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Remove Directions Whiz from Google Chrome
Option 1 – Delete Malicious Extension from Chrome Browser
One way to remove Directions Whiz from Google Chrome is simply to delete the Extension. Please follow these steps:
1. Open Google Chrome browser.
2. Type the following in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard: chrome://extensions
3. On Extensions window, please delete Directions Whiz by clicking on Trash icon.
4. Google Chrome will prompt for the confirmation of Directions Whiz removal. Please click on Remove button to proceed.
5. You may now restart Chrome browser.
Option 2 – Restore Google Chrome to Default Settings
Resetting Google Chrome to default settings is helpful in deleting hard-to-remove extension such as from Directions Whiz. This method is highly advisable to perform if you have difficulty in removing unwanted extension.
1. Open Google Chrome application.
2. In the address bar please type the this string: chrome://settings/ and then, press Enter on keyboard.
3. Scroll down, then click Show advanced settings…
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page until you see Reset Settings section.
5. Click on Reset Settings button. If it prompts for confirmation, please click Reset to proceed.
This function will reset your home page, new tab page, search engine, and other areas affected by Directions Whiz. Unwanted extensions will also be removed from the browser. This will not affect your bookmarks, history, and other saved data. You may also download Software Removal Tool from this page. A stand-alone reset tool from Google Chrome but with more advanced Adware scanner feature.
Remove Directions Whiz from Firefox
Option 1 – Delete Add-on from Firefox Browser
1. Open Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. On the address bar, type the following strings and press Enter on keyboard: about:addons
3. Under Add-ons Manager, look for Directions Whiz and click associated Remove button. See image below for reference.
4. Firefox will confirm your actions by clicking Yes. Please make sure that you have selected to Remove the home page and restore my previous setting.
5. You may now restart Firefox browser.
Option 2 – Refresh Mozilla Firefox
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to Directions Whiz. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Reset Firefox to its default state. Click the Reset Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Reset Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Directions Whiz should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Remove Directions Whiz from Internet Explorer
Directions Whiz loads on Internet Explorer when you install the main program. Therefore, uninstalling it from Add/Remove Programs (Step 1) should also remove its extension from the browser. If in case Directions Whiz still exists, please restore Internet Explorer settings to its default value.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by Directions Whiz and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.