If you are seeing a red screen claiming that all your private documents are encrypted and asked you to pay $300 to decrypt them, they computer is infected with a Ransomware called Cyber Locker. This type of malware is called a money-making computer infection because it intends to hold your files as hostage and demands payment for the code.
Usual deployment of Cyber Locker malware is via another Trojan or virus that finds security flaws on the computer. It attacks the PC through this doorway and installs Cyber Locker onto the system. Spam emails and malicious links from social media sites are also used to spread this malware. When inside the computer, this threat performs some changes on the registry, system files, and start-up item that allows Cyber Locker ransomware to run each time Windows starts.
Cyber Locker and other type or ransom virus these days are utilizing RSA encryption method that is hard coded. It only means that most victims may end up paying for the key if their desire is to retrieve all files immediately. When Cyber Locker enters the PC, it gathers information such as computer name, software versions, and system configuration. Remote server uses these data and assign a unique public key into it, which is just part needed for the decryption process. Another vital section is the private keys that can only be obtain by user upon payment to Cyber Locker.
Removal of Cyber Locker ransomware or CyberLocker virus as some calls it is pretty straightforward. However, decrypting or restoring affected files without the key is almost impossible.
How to Remove Cyber Locker Ransomware
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds Cyber Locker and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for Cyber Locker’s leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for Cyber Locker. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all Cyber Locker entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that Cyber Locker have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.
Stage 3 : Unlocking files that were encrypted by Cyber Locker
1. Download the program Panda Ransomware Decrypt.
pandaunransom.exe Download Link (this will open on a new window)
2. Save the file to your hard drive, Desktop, or any location.
3. Once the download completed, double-click on the file pandaunransom.exe to run it.
4. You will see Panda Ransomware Decrypt program. Please refer to the image below.
5. Next, use Windows Explorer or My Computer to make a folder “PandaTest” and copy some of the encrypted files into this folder.
6. Go back to Panda Ransomware Decrypt program and click on Select Folder button. Select the newly created folder PandaTest.
7. Click on START button to begin. Process may take a while, please wait until it is completed.
8. If you were able to decrypt contents of the PandaTest folder, you may run the tool on all the affected files and folders on the computer.