BetterSurf add-on or extension is slowly taking over browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. It aims to display pop-ups, banners, and other advertising materials onto your web browser. Growing number of computer users complains of BetterSurf getting installed onto their computer without their proper advice. It was learned that most users who have acquired this threat are the ones who have downloaded and installed fake software updates, movie player, and other freeware.
You must be aware that BetterSurf malware may come into your computer uninvited through shareware apps. It is a trick by attackers to wrap their unwanted programs into freeware that are attractive to users. This way, BetterSurf will get installed on to the PC instantly without getting user’s approval.
BetterSurf Ads mainly appears on the computer if you are browsing online shopping web sites. Although, the annoyances it brings is not limited on that scenario. ‘Ads by BetterSurf’ banners may also appear during regular web browsing.
Technically, BetterSurf is not a virus. It appears that the program was made as advertising scheme. Not bad if only it uses lawful way to promote the program as well as products within its network of advertisers. As of now, BetterSurf gains no support from computer users due to its malicious penetration and annoying advertisements.
Online Security Scanner Report for bettersurf.net:
|No Issues||Community Rating: 0.0||Updated: Dec 14, 2013|
|Not yet rated||Feedback: N/A||Updated: Dec 14, 2013|
|Currently safe||Ratings: 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes||Updated: Dec 14, 2013|
How to Remove BetterSurf (Add-on and Extension Removal Guide)
Stage 1: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner.exe to start running the tool.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to BetterSurf. You may have to delete each detected item.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, open AdwCleaner once more. Click on Uninstall to remove this program from your computer.
Stage 2: Remove BetterSurf Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted BetterSurf from the computer. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. You do not need to install the program. This portable scanner will run automatically once you double-click on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of BetterSurf on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with BetterSurf. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to BetterSurf.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. BetterSurf should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by BetterSurf and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.