Home page hijacker called 4-you.net can only have place on the computer if unwanted browser add-on or extension is installed. Normally, users are not aware of the process because 4-you.net add-on comes bundled with other software. It is installed on the browser in discreet manner as you setup the free program. Once installed, home page is set to 4-you Search, an unknown search engine that is also you default start-up page for Internet Explorer. It has other effect for browsers like Google Chrome and Firefox, instead of home page, 4-you.net targets New Tab that opens on its own.
Affected browser will not be the same anymore due to the presence 4-you.net. It tries to manipulate the Internet browser in order to force you into using its functions and features like links for Youtube, Gmail, and Facebook. 4-you.net also has buttons for News, Games, and Video. Hence, this browser hijacker is not only a search page, but represent itself as desktop tool as well.
No matter how inviting it appears to you, we still suggest removing 4-you.net from the computer as soon as possible. Its affiliation with Conduit is just an example that it is risky and should not be trusted. It may offer useful things, but mind you, 4-you.net can also gather some sensitive data from your computer during its presence. This action alone can lead to identity theft that puts you personal information in danger.
How to Remove 4-you.net (Adware Removal Guide)
Stage 1: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below.
Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to 4-you.net. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 2: Remove 4-you.net Add-on and Cleanup the Browser
After the previous scans, you may have deleted 4-you.net from the affected browser. This next step will ensure that no more module of adware will be left on the browser. This free tool scans and checks the browser for unwanted add-on and extension, and if found, Avast Browser Cleanup will give you a report and suggestion.
1. Download this free tool and save it to your desktop.
Avast Browser Cleanup Download Link (This will open in a new window)
2. Please install the program. Start the process by double-clicking on the executable file avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe.
3. When run, Avast Browser Cleanup performs a test on the browser. If unwanted entries were found, it will display a button ‘Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.’ You may remove all or delete one entry at a time.
4. Avast Browser Cleanup will confirm before it permanently deletes the add-on. Please click Yes to proceed with the removal of 4-you.net on the affected browser.
Option: Alternative Method to Clean Up Internet Browser
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with 4-you.net. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to 4-you.net.. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. 4-you.net should be gone by now. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain in the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons by 4-you.net and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.