PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl is a generic detection given by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to identify threats, adware, or malware that was made to control the home page of affected browser. PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl detection normally applies to threat that alters home page settings and set unknown search engine instead. The purpose is simply to force users into using the search engine and in return will make profit for adware makers.
Most notorious hijacker that was tagged as PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl is capable of locking the home page. It prevents computer users from reversing changes made by the threat. Even reinstalling the affected program may not help either because PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl is using a technique that may require thorough scanning of Windows system.
To avoid the harm cause by PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl, it is important that you know where it is coming from. Freeware is the number one source of this threat. It is wrapped to free programs that were configured to install adware once you execute it. Links from social media sites and spam emails may likewise drop PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl into the computer.
How to Remove PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl
Stage 1: Scan the Computer with ESET Rogue Application Remover (ERAR)
1. Download the free scanner called ESET Rogue Application Remover.
Download Link for ERAR (this will open a new window)
2. Choose appropriate version for your Windows System. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start the program. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file ERARemover_.exe.
4. On ESET Rogue Application Remover SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS, click Accept to continue.
5. The tool will start scanning the computer. It will prompt when it finds PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl and other malicious entities. Follow the prompt to proceed with the removal.
Stage 2: Double-check for PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl’ leftover with Microsoft’s Malicious Software Removal Tool
1. Download the free scanner called Malicious Software Removal Tool.
Malicious Software Removal Tool Download Link (this will open a new window)
2. The tool automatically checks the operating system and suggest appropriate download version. Click on Download button to begin. Save the file to a convenient location, preferably on Desktop.
3. After downloading the file, Windows will prompt that download has completed. Click Run to start scanning for PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl. Another option is to browse the location folder and double click on the file to run.
4. The tool will display Welcome screen, click Next. Please note the message “This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product.” You must understand that this program is made specifically to find and remove malware, viruses, Trojans, and other harmful elements on the computer. It was not designed to protect the computer.
5. Next, you will see Scan Type. Please choose Full Scan to ensure that all PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl entities and other harmful files left on the computer will be found and removed. For advanced computer user, you can opt for Customized Scan, if there are other drives or folders you wanted to include in this scan.
6. Full scan may take a while, please wait for Malicious Software Removal Tool to complete the tasks. However, you may cancel the scan anytime by clicking on the Cancel button.
7. After scanning, the tool will reveal all identified threats. There may be other threats that our first scan fails to detect. Please remove/delete all detected items.
8. When removal procedure is complete, you may now close Malicious Software Removal Tool. We hope that PUM.Hijack.HomepageControl have been completely deleted from the computer. Please restart Windows to proceed with the normal operation.