xtendmedia.com is a platform that provides advertising services to web site owners. It is involve in legal operation just like any other online advertising company. Recently, xtendmedia.com name and reputation is dragged as part of virus or malware operation. Almost every community forums have a discussion thread covering the ‘ad.xtendmedia.com virus’.
Most computer users did not know that the company is unaware of the activities being stirred by malware authors into the program. Cyber attackers have found new ways to deploy their malicious program, and that is through online advertising. xtendmedia.com is one of the platform being utilized for fraud online activities.
Seeing a pop-up by ad.xtendmedia.com on your browser doesn’t necessarily mean that PC is infected with Xtendmedia. It is probably the cause of virus, malware, or adware infection on the system. Attackers are employing this method to direct browser to harmful web sites. Also, this process intends to sell rogue programs to victims. As you can see, attacker’s main goal is to earn a profit from this sham operation.
Installation of xtendmedia.com on one’s computer can be blame on user’s frequent visit to risky web sites. Downloading and installing unknown program may also give some threat to enter a computer without user’s consent.
Online Security Scanner Report for xtendmedia.com:
The following web site scanner link supports that xtendmedia.com is somehow harmless. Although, the destination site where you will be pointed at by ads shown by Xtendmedia is beyond their control.
|No Issues||Community Rating: 1.7/5.0||Updated: July 31, 2013|
|No Issues||Feedback: Adware, Spyware||Updated: July 31, 2013|
|Probably Safe||Ratings: 3 Likes, 2 Dislikes||Updated: July 31, 2013|
How xtendmedia.com and relevant malware does enter a computer?
Pop-up and screen advertisements by ad.xtendmedia.com are usually brought into the computer by another malware. It is integrated into the browser as add-on or extension. Most of the time, attackers are not giving users easy way of removing this module by providing unrelated terms. Here are some of the ways how xtendmedia.com will gain an entry to the computer.
– You may have downloaded a program to where Xtendmedia is packed.
– Visiting unknown and risky web sites may download the threat to a computer causing ad.xtendmedia.com to meddle with online browsing.
– By misleading users with pretentious trick, some users may download and execute the virus intentionally.
How to Remove xtendmedia.com (Uninstall Procedures)
Stage 1: Remove Rootkit and Virus from the Computer
This rootkit and virus removal tool is free and easy to use. It scans, detects and removes any rootkit as well as malware that are hidden on the computer.
1. Download Sophos Virus Removal Tool from this page. Save the file to your Desktop so that we can access the file easily.
2. Once the download completes, double-click the file to install the program on the computer. It will update the database once installations has finished. Internet connection is required at this point.
3. After downloading necessary updates, Sophos Virus Removal Tool displays the welcome screen.
4. Click on Start Scanning button to begin checking the system for presence of rootkit and virus.
Stage 2: Scan and Delete Adware with AdwCleaner
1. Download the tool called AdwCleaner from the location stated below. Click here to download AdwCleaner (this will open a new window)
2. Once you have completed the download, please close all running programs on the computer.
3. Locate the file and double-click on adwcleaner_Ver.exe to start running the tool. Then, click on Scan button.
4. It searches for presence of harmful programs, plug-ins, add-ons, or any data that were found malicious and linked to xtendmedia.com. You need to Clean all items detected by this tool.
5. Once scan is done, the tool may need to reboot your computer to finalize the cleaning process.
6. After reboot, AdwCleaner will display the log file of the recent scan.
Stage 3: Cleanup your Internet Browser
Cleaning your internet browser from clutter and unwanted add-on/extension is a must when dealing with xtendmedia.com. The procedure below discuss on resetting various browsers to its default state.
Reset Mozilla Firefox to Default
This section describes how to remove unwanted extension from Firefox that may be related to xtendmedia.com. This process can fix many browser issues by restoring Firefox to factory settings without affecting your essential information (bookmarks, browsing history, passwords, and Internet cookies) on the browser. If you desire to remove only specific extension, please see manual removal of add-on from Firefox.
1. Navigate to Firefox menu at the top of the browser and access the Help area. Click on Troubleshooting Information.
2. A new tab will appear. You will notice a section on upper-right corner of the screen stating Give Firefox a tuneup. Click the Refresh Firefox button.
3. If confirmation window appears, click Refresh Firefox to continue.
4. Firefox browser will close and start the resetting process. When done, it will display a list of restored data. Click Finish to open a fresh version of Firefox.
Restore Internet Explorer to Default Settings
1. Open Internet Explorer and navigate to top menu. Click Tools, and then Internet Options.
2. Select Advanced tab on Internet Options window.
3. On lower part of the window, under Reset Internet Explorer Settings area, click the Reset button. Please see image below for reference.
Your data like favorites, bookmark, and history will remain it the browser. However, this process may delete add-ons and other unknown objects. If you prefer to carry out the procedure manually, please see add-on removal from Internet Explorer.